Metering Service Overview¶
The metering service provided by EnOS Cloud can collect statistics based on the user’s resource consumption on the platform and provide multi-dimensional metering reports. The data in the metering reports can help the O&M personnel and operators to clearly understand the overall resources of EnOS Cloud. In the public cloud scenario, the output results of the metering service can provide operators with a specific basis for charging.
The metering service has corresponding resource monitoring and metering mechanism at each layer of the technical architecture. The specific concepts are described as per the below.
- Tenants: The EnOS service uses tenants as its independent resource metering space to calculate the corresponding resource and service consumption.
- Metering model: The metering model of each level calculates the resource consumption details at that level, including resource entity, time, resource consumption, and metering unit.
- Billing model: The billing model is formed by outputting the billing strategy according to the metering model.
The metering service provides a resource quota metering report applied through the resource management module, including service name, resource items, and consumption information. Customers can specify their own pricing strategies based on metering data to calculate bills for each organizational unit (OU).
As shown in the figure above, the services provided by EnOS Cloud can be classified into IaaS, PaaS, and EnOS. The metering rules, metering models, and metering statistics are defined respectively for each layer.
- For the EnOS service layer, the metering service proactively collects the original consumption of resources and services, performs data statistics as per different metering strategies of each resource service, and outputs a tenant-based metering report.
- The report includes the service name, resource items, and specific consumption for each tenant.
- Operators can define resource and service pricing strategies based on metering data, and further generate bills for each OU through calculations.
- For the PaaS and IaaS layers, the metering service collects actual resource consumption data through the underlying interface and counts resource utilization and other indicators as per service dimensions, providing important data support for multiple scenarios such as resource expansion, capacity planning, and resource cost calculation.
The EnOS metering services have the following features.
- Stable and scalable: Based on the abstract design of metering services and objects, new metering objects can be connected through simple registration and configuration. The metering service also supports multiple copies of service instances and a multi-level caching mechanism to improve stability.
- Fast and accurate: The metering service can proactively and continuously pull metering data and perform real-time statistical calculations on the collected data to ensure the speed and accuracy of metering data.
The dashboard provides operators with the holistic statistical results on how each organization uses the resources and services on EnOS Cloud. Operators can flexibly view the overview information of each metering cycle, and can export and save the metering data. They can also view the metering statistics of the specified organization. For more information, see Metering Service Dashboard.
The metering reports provide operators with detailed daily actual usage of resources and services by various organizations. Operators can understand the resource usage habits of platform users from the services and resource details’ perspective in order to tune platform operation strategies. For more information, see Metering Reports.
The metering details provide operators with all the detailed data in the last three months. The operators can view the corresponding metering details by directly clicking the consumption information in the metering report, and can troubleshoot problems based on the metering data accurate to the instance ID and hour level. For more information, see Metering Details.